Sunday, January 3, 2010

Top 10 Debut Musical Acts Of The Decade

2010 is upon us and it’s time for reflection on the past 10 years. I thought I’d give you a few top 10 lists for the decade that we just closed. Music, movies, sports, radio, love, living, and travel made up most of my time so that’s what you are going to get from me. Keep checking back over the next few days as I’ve got a bunch of lists to put out.

First, let’s start with my passion: finding new bands.

Since I was old enough to make my own money I’ve been trying discover new music and buy their albums. Let’s start with my top 10 list for bands that I found over the past 10 years. These are NEW acts to ME…you may have known about them before the year 2000, but I had not.

10. Mat Kearney – In 2006, this singer/songwriter put out his first album "Nothing Left To Lose" to critical acclaim. I loved the mixture of touching lyrics and great acoustic guitar playing. The title track was the radio hit exposed me to Mat and the album was awesome from start to finish. One of my favorite lyrics from this album was:

“If everything we’ve got is slippin’ away – I meant what I said when I said til my dying day…. I’m holding onto you holding onto me – Maybe it’s all gone black but you’re all I see…you’re all I see”

In 2009, Kearney released "City Of Black and White", which is more mature and just as good as his first album.

9. Lily Allen/Kate Nash: I have to admit that I have an fetish for British female singers and I discovered these two right at the same time so I’m going to combine them into one slot. Lily and Kate both are amazing writers and have unique, beautiful voices. Allen is more popular as her two albums have both done very well. “Alright, Still” burst out in 2006 thanks to the hit “Smile” which featured the loving lyric; “When you first left me I was wantin’ more but you were fuckin’ that girl next door – what did ya do that for?” . In 2008, “It’s Not You, It’s Me” came out with a song that made me a fan for life of Lily Allen: “Not Fair” is a hysterical song about a boyfriend who couldn’t satisfy her in the bedroom.

Kate Nash’s debut album “Made of Bricks” came out in 2007 with the Brit hit “Foundations” as the main track that you probably would have heard of. I LOVE that song. Easily one of favorite of the entire decade.

8. Kayne West : I won’t spend too much time on Mr. West since everyone knows who he is and what he’s all about. I have everything he’s ever done. In 2004, “College Dropout” came out and made him a star. The decade saw 4 albums from Kayne, all to huge success. He’s my favorite rapper along side Eminem.

7. Rascal Flatts: Here’s a tip for the guys – if you’re single – take a girl to see this band live. The after party will be a success for you for sure! I’m 3 for 3 on this but that’s not why this band makes the list.

This band put out 6 studio albums during the decade and I love every one of them. I was dating someone from Boston while living in Alabama when she turned me onto this band with the song “Then I did” from their 3rd album “Feels Like Today” about two career people chasing their dreams which lead them apart…pretty accurate song for how that relationship went but:

By now I figure, you had all your numbers changed. Been at least year, since I called you up to say – We need to talk, I got this job and I think I’m going to take it. Cause I’ve been waiting all my life for a break like this. It’s my chance of a lifetime – I just know it is. I got to go and find these dreams – was the last thing that I said….and then I did….” I was hooked for life.

6. Shiny Toy Guns: This band from Oklahoma turned me on my head in late 2008 and early 2009. A awesome mix of punk, electronic beats, great guitars, and dueling male/female vocals really made an huge impact on me. Both albums that came out this decade are tremendous and I highly recommend them.

5. Alison Krauss: Yes, I know she has been around since 1985 but I didn’t get exposed to her until 2005. I love her now and has opened me up to other Bluegrass bands like Old Crow Medicine Show. Extremely talented and a joy to listen to whatever song she sings.

4. The Killers: In 2004, “Hot Fuss” came out and became a HUGE HUGE favorite of mine from start to finish. I will later list my top 10 albums of the decade and this album will be very near the top. I love every song on it and will never forget the drive to move from Alabama to Omaha playing it over and over. Who can forget “Mr. Brightside” and the impact the song made on everyone who listens to good music:

“It’s just the price I pay. Destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes. Cause I’m Mr. Brightside”

Their 2nd album “Sam’s Town” came out in 2006 wasn’t nearly as good but The Killers are still a huge band for the decade for me. I’ve never seen them either which makes me mad.

3. The Fray: You might laugh at me for this selection but since 2005 when “How To Save A Life” came out and I saw this band perform at a small club in Omaha – they have been one of my favorites. Every song they do is heartfelt, well written and beautifully performed. In fact, I became a bigger fan when in 2009 “The Fray” followed and was even better than their first album. I seriously can’t stop listening to it. Piano heavy songs with tremendous hooks and lyrics – so good.

2. Death Cab for Cutie : If you haven’t dived head first into this band – you are missing one the best acts in music right now. Death Cab puts on a show that you have to see to believe as well. I first heard a song by the band at the end of the series “Six Feet Under” as the closing scene was the most powerful emotional experience I’ve ever seen on television. The song “ Transatlanticsism” was the title track of the bands 2003 album, which happens to be my favorite album of the decade.

I’ll never forget watching the characters of the show sing “I need you so much closer” as they fast-forwarded through the rest of their lives. I was a mess, crying for most of the scene. I was a fan of the band for life. On a whole, Death Cab put out 6 studio albums but really got known when they signed with Atlantic Records in 2004 and put out “Plans” in 2005 which included the hit “When Soul Meets Body”

“I do believe it’s true that there are roads left in both of our shoes. But if the silence takes you, I hope it takes me too.”

1. Keane: Of course it’s a Brit band at number 1. If you know me at all, you would have guessed that. This band however, from the first time I heard the song “Somewhere Only We Know” in 2004 locked me up for life.

“And if you had a minute why don’t we go – talk about it somewhere only we know. This could be the end of everything – so why don’t we go somewhere only we know”

2 other albums would follow in the decade: “Under The Iron Sea” which would earn them the GQ Band Of The Year award in 2006 and finally “Perfect Symmetry” came out in 2008. All 3 albums are in constant rotation on my IPod.

Honorable mention to: Dropkick Murphy's

CHECK BACK SOON for my picks The Top 10 Albums, Top 10 Sporting Events, and Lessons Learned of the 2000’s

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice shout for Lily Allen and I LOVE Rascal Flatts!! Cool list